Veterans Week Celebration 2015
General Veterans Week Activities
Help Fill the Boot Campaign
This campaign benefits a variety of charitable organizations throughout Northern Kentucky that include student veterans and family members who use the NKU Veteran Resource Station and CVG USO. This year we are also including the Fuel NKU program that is an on-campus foodbank helping students in need
- Visit Veterans Resource Station or Student Union to donate individually wrapped snacked snacks, water, drinks and cash donations etc.
- Dates: October 15 through November 15.
- Participants: Norse V.E.T.S. Phi Alpha Theta, Veteran Resource Station, Campus and community
Saturday, November 7
DAV 5K Run to Honor Veterans
USAA National Sponsor
0700 - 1045 hours
- Yeatman's Cove - Visit the NKU tent near the honor wall
- Participants: Veterans Resource Station, Sports Business, Norse Veterans
- Campus community is encouraged to participate.
Wednesday, November 11
Uniform and Memorabilia Display
- 1000 -1600 hours, Student Union
- Bob Snow, 2006 NKU History grad presents uniforms dating from Mexican War to present.
Flag Raising and Wreath Laying Ceremony
- 1145 - 1215 hours.
- Flagpole, vicinity of Salmon P. Chase College of Law.
- Led by Norse V.E.T.S. with Army/AF/NG/Marine/Reserves, Star Spangled Banner, bugler
- Campus and public invited.
Meals Ready to Eat (MRE) Luncheon
- Immediately following Flag Raising.
- 1215 - 1330 hours.
- Outside Patio Between Student Union and Salmon Chase College of Law
- Learn history of C-Rations and MREs; Receive Step by Instruction on how to properly prepare and eat MREs.
- Up to 36 Faculty, Staff, Students (Space is limited).
- Led by NKU Alumni and National Guard Sgt. Adam Stoppelwerth
- Register for the luncheon.
- 1500 - 1700, SU 107A
- Professor Mathew Kelley, NKU History and Geography Department, and Dr. Jessica Theide, Vet Vital Program
- Campus and Community is invited to engage in a discussion with male and female veterans from WWII, Korea, Cold War, Vietnam War, Gulf War, OEF/OIF, New Dawn, National Guard and active duty.
- Pizza and refreshments will be provided.
- Register for event
Veteran Panel member Questionnaire
Thursday, November 12
Veterans Resource Station Chili Cook-Off
- Noon - 1630 hours.
- Veterans Resource Station UC 131.
- Staff, faculty and students are invited to bring your favorite pot of chili.
- Join us from 1700-1830 hours to feed 70 homeless at ESNKY in Covington.
- Email email@example.com for specific details of food and support needs.